NEWS BRIEF U.S. safety regulators announced Thursday the official recall of Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 after almost 100 reports of the phone's battery overheating and in some cases catching fire.
In its statement, the message was clear: "Consumers should immediately stop using and power down the recalled Galaxy Note 7 devices purchased before September 15, 2016".
Samsung sold about 2.5 million of its top-line smartphone, including about 1 million in the U.S. Kaye said the South Korean company has agreed to offer consumers the choice of a full refund or a replacement device.
A Samsung recall site also has a tool to lookup a phone's IMEI number so you can certify that a new phone is safe. The US CPSC had earlier advised customers against the use of Note 7 phones due to the battery based fire hazard. Canada's recall notice stated only one report of an overheating battery had been received, with no reports of injury. If yours is under recall, you can get a replacement phone or a refund. Tim Baxter, President of Samsung Electronics America stated that 130,000 Galaxy Note 7 units have been exchanged and that replacements will arrive in the USA on September 21. AT&T and T-Mobile's recall pages suggest that new Note 7 inventory will begin arriving September 21.
RBS Will Pay $1.1 Billion in Settlement Over Mortgage Securities
It added that it would pursue other similar lawsuits pending against Swiss banks, Credit Suisse and UBS. The bank also faces a multi-billion dollar lawsuit by the U.S.
Additionally, Samsung is offering a $25 credit or gift card to those affected by the recall.
What's interesting is that while recall affects roughly one million devices, only around 130,000 have been turned in. Not much more could have been done to alert consumers that the Galaxy Note 7 was unsafe.
Samsung said its US recall was taking place "in cooperation" with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Ltd. announced Friday it will resume the sale of Galaxy Note 7 smartphones in its home country, South Korea, from September 28., according to a report by Reuters. In its home market of South Korea, the company says it will debut a new "battery-problem-free" Note 7 phone on Monday. "For that, we apologize, especially to those of you who were personally affected by this", said Tim Baxter, president of Samsung Electronics America.